By Lori Mork
- 2 cups unsifted cake flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup unsifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2-1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. strawberry or other extract (almond, etc.)
- 1/2 tsp. or more rose food coloring
- 2 Tbsp. unsifted cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups multi-colored nonpareil decors
- Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, salt and sugars in food processor and mix briefly. Add butter in pieces; process with on/off bursts until mixture has the consistency of cornmeal. Add vanilla and process until mixture just forms a ball.
- Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Return one portion to the food processor. Add strawberry extract, food coloring and extra tablespoons of flour and process until just mixed.
- Roll out each portion of dough between sheets of waxed paper. You want a rectangle about 11” × 8 1/2” by 1/8” thick. Leave dough between sheets of waxed paper and slide onto baking sheet. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
- Remove dough pieces from refrigerator. Pour nonpareil decors into a shallow rectangular dish (such as a 9×13 pan).
- Peel off top sheet of waxed paper from both doughs. Brush vanilla dough very lightly with water. Using waxed paper, lift strawberry dough and flip it onto vanilla dough so they are stacked. Press with fingertips to seal the two doughs together. Remove top sheet of waxed paper and trim edges even.
- When dough is just pliable (but still cold), roll it up (begin with the long side) like a jellyroll. As you begin to roll, gently curl edge with your fingertips so you don’t get air pockets. As you roll, the vanilla portion may want to tear; pinch tears together as they happen and keep rolling.
- After forming dough into a log, throw away waxed paper. Gently lift log on top of nonpareil decors in the dish and roll until log is completely coated. Wrap log in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm enough to slice (from 4 hours to a week, or freeze up to 2 months; defrost in refrigerator overnight before slicing).
- Heat oven to 325°. To bake, slice the log into 1/8- to 1/4”-thick cookies and bake on parchment-lined baking sheets 15 to 17 minutes until cookies are no longer shiny on top and bottoms of the vanilla portion are golden.
Yield: 3 dozen cookies.