By Deb Roell
It’s amazing how a little frosting and a little creativity can turn plain cupcakes into something fantastic. Make a batch of cupcakes using your favorite pre-packaged mix or homemade recipe, then let your creativity run wild to make these cute critters, or whatever else comes to mind! Happy spring!
- 2 cans vanilla frosting
- 1 can chocolate frosting
- Standard size marshmallows
- Chocolate chips (regular and mini)
- Chocolate wafer cookies (round)
- Pink colored sugar
- Assorted flavors/colors of
- Tootsie Roll candies
- Red food coloring
- Red Skittles candy
- Cut two edges from chocolate wafer cookies to create a semi-triangular piece to use later for the head. Coat with chocolate frosting and allow to dry.
- Spoon vanilla frosting into a Ziploc bag. Cut tip from bag to create a very small hole, and pipe onto cupcake using a circular motion to create the sheep’s “wool.”
- Add head piece to cupcake, and top with more white frosting curls to hide the edges.
- For eyes, dip the flat sides of two mini chocolate chips into vanilla frosting, and press onto head.
- Cut chocolate Tootsie Roll candies in half and flatten into triangles for ears. Place onto cupcake.
- Optional: Add a small dab of pink frosting to create the sheep’s mouth, or use colored frosting to add a bow.
- Frost cupcakes with vanilla frosting.
- Put approximately 1/2 container chocolate frosting in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until melted. Pour randomly onto cupcakes to create cow’s spots.
- To create a nose, add two or three drops of red food coloring to approximately 1/4 container vanilla frosting. Mix well and spoon into a small Ziploc bag. Cut tip from bag to create a very small hole, and pipe onto cupcake in a circular motion. Place two mini chocolate chips onto nose to finish.
- Place two regular size chocolate chips on cupcake as the cow’s eyes.
- Cut chocolate and lemon Tootsie Roll candies into quarters. Form two lemon candies into points to create horns, and flatten two chocolate candies into triangles for ears. Place onto cupcake.
- Frost cupcakes with vanilla frosting tinted with 1 drop red food coloring.
- Cut several marshmallows into four equal slices, and cut the inner slices in half. You’ll have two rounds and four half-circles per marshmallow.
- For each pig cupcake, you’ll need one marshmallow round and two half-circles. Use the round as the nose, and the half-circles as ears.
- Coat them in pink sugar and press into place on cupcake.
- Place two regular size chocolate chips on cupcake as the pig’s eyes.
- Place a red Skittle as the pig’s tongue, or use a piece of softened pink Tootsie Roll.
- Sprinkle pink sugar on the pig’s cheeks.