by Karla Mikkelson
• Set narrow trees, nutcrackers and other decor atop antique books or other interesting textures to create various heights. Layer one or more empty ornate frames beside or behind items.
• Add reflective ornaments strung from shimmering ribbons or decorative chain.
• Go natural.
Try pinecones, berries and holly. Add red barberry twigs snipped from an outdoor bush.
• Keep it simple. Use wire brush trees and metal stars.
• Find items that catch the light. Try candles, beads, and shimmering strands of pearls.
• Show off collections. Include your favorite rocks, seashells,
driftwood and found objects from your travels.
Don’t have a mantel?
Deck the top of a shelving unit, entertainment center, sofa table, or china hutch.
Tip: Tiny nails or staple gun will be more durable than tape. If you are going to use tape, go with packing tape, or secure with a push-pin beneath the tape to keep them extra secure.
Always think safety. If your fireplace is wood burning, never hang flammables in front of it.